Under the general direction of the Controller, the Budgeting and Accounting Manager directs and oversees annual budgeting for our $30 million annual enterprise, and is responsible for accounting functions and reporting.
In addition to managing the annual budgeting process, this manager works closely with the Controller to establish appropriate internal controls necessary to ensure accurate accumulation and reporting of financial data; prepares and distributes accurate financial reports; collaborates with the Controller to ensure the success of the annual internal and external audit(s); and participates in the month-end close process.
Essential Duties and Functions:
1. Lead the annual operating and capital budget processes for the organization, working with senior leaders and directors to align budget parameters with strategic goals.
2. Implement and maintain an effective financial planning and analysis functions that will provide senior leadership with appropriate analytical tools to establish financial performance goals and measure the organization's progress.
3. Assist in the monthly accounting close duties including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, inventory management, fixed assets, cash flow management, financial and funder reporting, account reconciliation, and revenue and expense recording.
4. Assist in the preparation of the annual fiscal audit, compliance and process audits.
5. Routinely communicate business unit and company consolidated financial and operational performance trends--both historical and forecasted--using appropriate metrics. Suggest trends, resulting implications, key actions, and strategic implications.
6. Master the organization's budgeting software (Adaptive Insights) to conduct report writing, researching, and writing operating metrics to help determine outcomes.
7. Influence the accuracy and effectiveness of the accounting consolidation (NetSuite) and closing process through analytical review and trend analysis.
8. Prepare presentations to support presentations to the board, senior leadership meetings and various strategic committees and work groups.
9. Track all capital expenditures, prepare reports and coordinate capital review meetings.
10. Develop and update financial operating policies and procedures to ensure regulatory and compliance, best practices, and operational efficiencies. Policies and procedures should be updated accordingly and reviewed in their entirety at least annually.
11. Participate in the creation of the Finance Department’s Annual Work Plan and in the implementation of activities to address various goals delineated in the plan.
12. Participate in grant budget construction, and review grant budgets before submitting applications. Provide financial data for funder reporting.
13. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers.
1. Evaluate, direct, and monitor internal control procedures, including all financial transactions.
2. Assist the VP of Finance in formulating financial strategies/reviews in conjunction with the board and the audit and finance (A&F) committee. Assist the VP of Finance in preparing materials for the board, A&F committee, and other board committees and task forces, including making presentations when necessary.
3. Offer recommendations pertaining to department staffing. Seek opportunities to train other finance area staff in key finance operations.
4. Assist the senior leaders to analyze and plan medical service pricing. Assist in evaluating profitability/feasibility of services in a changing market and reimbursement environment.
5. Maintain relations with other organizations relating to finance operations including banks, investment advisors, PPFA, etc.
6. Supervise all data processing and computer functions in the Finance Department including NetSuite and Adaptive Insights; assume responsibility for integration of these functions with other Agency data systems.
7. Perform other related duties as assigned by senior management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, speak, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, type, or feel and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Status: Full time, exempt from the overtime provisions of the wages and salary regulations.