Did you know there’s a planet in our galaxy where it rains glass? Or that light bounces around inside the Sun for 175,000 years before shooting off into space? If you think that’s freaking awesome, and you’re passionate about STEM, community outreach, education, and working in a welcoming environment, this might be the place for you!
The Adler Planetarium is seeking a Senior Accountant/Analyst to join our dynamic team located on Chicago's Museum Campus.
This individual will be responsible for, among other things:
- Performing complex accounting functions, including journal entry preparation, account reconciliation, account analysis, and financial reporting
- Collaborating with and supporting the Accounting Manager in carrying out the day to day responsibilities of the Accounting Team
- Organizing the Accounting Team’s work to meet internal and external deadlines
- Actively participating in enhancements to accounting policies and procedures; suggesting and implementing best practices to improve controls and efficiencies
- Supporting Finance Management and other departments on special projects and reports including analysis of outside operations, analyzing and investigating budget to actual variances, evaluating general ledger and financial reporting needs and making updates as appropriate, preparation of the annual budget, and assisting with preparation for the annual audit
- Responding to financial requests from internal employees and outside agencies
This person is a resourceful, analytical thinker who enjoys working hard and looking for challenges. They are able to work independently, are not afraid to take charge of a situation, and are able to make decisions even when limited information is available. This individual is comfortable in a smaller, nonprofit environment where support is needed for a variety of functions, and has the ability to juggle multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- A minimum of three years of relevant accounting experience
- Prior experience working with general ledger accounting packages, journal entry preparation, account reconciliation and analysis
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and nonprofit accounting standards
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel is essential
- Ability to communicate positively and professionally with internal and external parties
- Master’s degree and/or CPA
- Public accounting experience
The Accounting Team
We are a small team who takes pride in supporting a unique group of creative, intelligent, diverse, sometimes demanding, but always the best employees in the galaxy. We develop and maintain accounting systems, policies and procedures to meet internal and external financial requirements.
The Adler Planetarium is dedicated to complying with its obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Our recruiting and hiring procedures are free of discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, covered veteran status, including disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans or any protected group status as defined by law.